Friday, May 13, 2011

Honey mustard marinated chicken

This is a recipe I made up through trial and error of the taste I liked and I've tried to measure to get a more accurate account of how much of each ingredient I use. I actually first started making this as a homemade salad dressing- which I have to say is so much tastier than the pre-bottled stuff from the store (don't get me wrong though- I still have two containers of it in my fridge. . . ) anyhoo- I started marinating chicken in it as well and it is really just delicious.

What you'll need

2 tsp garlic (I am using this garlic paste that is mashed with some seasonings because its what I have AND I  think it's a little less overwhelming)
2 Tbsp creamy Dijon mustard
2 Tbsp honey
1 small sprig of rosemary, finely chopped
1/4 C red wine vinegar
1/2 C olive oil

Add garlic, mustard, honey and rosemary in a small lidded container. Close and shake until well mixed. Add in the vinegar and mix until combined and then pour in the olive oil and shake hard until combined. The marinade will thicken once fully blended.

Using either a container or a zip lock bag, pour the marinade over 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, making sure all of the chicken is well coated. I also like to reserve some to drizzle on the chicken before serving.  Leave in the fridge up to two days, then bake or grill the chicken until the juices run clear.

This has wonderful flavor that we just love, but you can mix it up any way you like, different mustard, different herbs, more or less garlic and honey- just play with it until you find a flavor you like! Its flavorful but not overpowering. Lately we've been grilling the chicken with grilled sweet potato fries a variation of my baked sweet potato fries and a side salad.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Yum! Thanks for posting, I will try this one out for sure!

    ReplyDelete