Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Southwestern Sweet potatoes


I've been racking my brain Pinterest for new recipes lately as I feel like we've been eating the same recipes over and over again for dinner. Does that happen to you? Well I came across this recipe that I pinned back in January from a GREAT cooking blog, Haute Apple Pie, I read and I thought it was the perfect time to make it! 
Y'all!! You must try this recipe, its really easy and didn't require any crazy ingredients! 
Twice-Baked Southwestern Sweet Potatoes
4 large sweet potatoes
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1 lb spicy turkey sausage
1/2 C frozen corn
1/2 C black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
1/2 C shredded Colby Jack cheese

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prick potatoes with a fork in multiple spots. Place on foil lined, rimmed baking sheet and bake for about 1 hour or until soft in the middle.
In a large skillet, heat olive oil. Add turkey sausage and cook until no pink remains. Reduce heat to medium and add black beans and corn and all spices (chili powder, paprika, salt and pepper). Mix and cook 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat.
Remove sweet potatoes from oven. With a knife, slice the potatoes lengthwise from tip to tip. Using tongs (the potatoes are hot!), hold the sweet potato in place. Take a fork and mash the insides of the potato until completely mashed. Repeat for each potato. Spoon sausage mixture into the top of the potatoes, working it into the sides a bit. Top each potato with a sprinkle of cheese. 
Throw the potatoes back in the oven on the baking sheet for about 3-5 minutes until cheese is melted. 

So tasty!! 
PS- the original recipe actually called for Chorizo, which would be delicious too but I was trying to cut down on the fat content so I could use this as an any day weeknight meal! For a special meal though I would totally use chorizo.

Recipe and picture from Haute Apple Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment