Monday, May 7, 2012

homemade frozen yogurt

As the temperature rises and we are outside more, I crave ice cream more and more. Duh! We have an ice cream maker but I hesitate to use it because while homemade ice cream is yummy its not any better for you than the Blue Bell I'd pick up at the store!
The past few weeks have been so nice I went in search of a good low-fat/ lower calorie frozen treat.  I came across this recipe on 101 Cookbooks after doing a little research. It is simple, easy and fast!

What you'll need:
3 C Greek yogurt
3/4 C sugar
6 packets of Splenda
2 tsp vanilla  (paste or extract)



The original recipe calls for 1- 1 1/4C of sugar depending on how sweet you want it, but I lowered the sugar amount and substituted some splenda just to cut calories. This will result in a more icy/ hard yogurt, but to compensate for the lack in sugar you can add one tablespoon of vodka to help keep the yogurt soft in the freezer. You won't be able to taste it, it just keeps the yogurt from completely hardening.

Mix all of the ingredients in a bowl until the sugar dissolves. Then let sit in the fridge for an hour.


Then freeze according to your ice cream maker directions. I think mine took about 20 minutes. As you can see, we added a few chocolate chips! It's very tasty and satisfies those summer ice cream cravings!



No comments:

Post a Comment